UPDATED AND REVISED ON THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2021:
ATTENTION: Our One Hour Swim session at Sacred Heart on February 18 is cancelled due to inclement weather. If you are registered for this One Hour Swim session, please reach out to to arrange for refund or rescheduling at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The One Hour Swim will be happening this winter! We received guidance directly from USMS to hold the One Hour Swim virtually. This guidance is available on the USMS website here. More information is available below. If you would like to swim your One Hour Swim during a practice at Sacred Heart during the month of February, registration information is available below.
What Is the one hour swim?
Every winter for the past 30 years, we participate in the USMS ePostal National One Hour Swim Challenge (OHS). We use the challenge as a fundraiser to raise money for community organizations that support the LGBTQ+ community. Not only do we challenge ourselves to see how far we can swim in an hour, we also get pledges and donations for causes that matter. We first participated in OHS as team in 1990 during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis, and the money raised was used to pay medical bills for members of our team fighting the epidemic. Nowadays, we donate the proceeds to LGBTQ+ community organizations. Past beneficiaries have included the AIDS Service Center (now the Alliance for Positive Change), the Ali Forney Center, SAGE, and other important community organizations.
fundraiser Beneficiaries in 2021
This year, our beneficiaries will be the The Alliance for Positive Change & the Team New York Aquatics’ Paul Fortoul Fellowship Program!
The Alliance for Positive Change, formerly the AIDS Service Center NYC, helps New Yorkers living with HIV and other chronic health conditions get the medical care, peer support, and housing assistance they need to achieve health, happiness, and stability. For more information about the Alliance, visit their website at: www.alliance.nyc
The Paul Fortoul Fellowship Program was originally founded by Team New York Aquatics as the Swimming Scholarship Program in 2007 to provide financial assistance to members to participate in our aquatics programs. For more information about the program, visit our website at: www.tnya.org/fellowship
REGISTRATION & PARTICIPATION
This year, due to the pandemic, the One Hour Swim Fundraising Drive will be run virtually. There is no registration requirement for the One Hour Swim this year, however, if you would like for your participation to be officially recorded with U.S. Masters Swimming, you must register with U.S. Masters Swimming on ClubAssistant here. Please note that you must have a current 2021 USMS membership and pay their registration fee directly to them through ClubAssistant (the net proceeds from the registration fee benefits the host of the national championship (see ClubAssistant page for details)). Please also note that you must contact USMS directly if you have any questions, concerns or issues with registration through ClubAssistant (contact information is on the ClubAssistant page).
We are mindful that not everyone has access to a pool at this time due to the pandemic. You do not have to swim to participate in this fundraiser. You can engage in any physical activity, or simply fundraise to support our beneficiaries (more information on beneficiaries and the fundraiser below). If you are going to make arrangements to swim the One Hour Swim on your own, please follow the guidance provided by USMS here.
If you would like to swim your One Hour Swim at one of our practices at Sacred Heart, you can swim your One Hour Swim at the following practices:
- Thursday, February 18 – 8:15pm-9:45pm
- Thursday, February 25 – 8:15pm-9:45pm
To swim your One Hour Swim at either of these practices, you must register on MindBody and pay the $50 registration fee which will be donated towards the proceeds.
We will only have 12 spots available for each practice so please make sure you sign up soon! All participants must abide by these OHS rules:
- All in person swimmers must find their own counter and timer. Having trouble finding someone? Email us and we will help you out!
- All in person counters and timers must be TNYA members in order to comply with Sacred Heart COVID policies & procedures, and all participants must abide by Sacred Heart COVID policies & procedures.
- If you want to swim as a relay, there will be a maximum number of swimmers of 4 per lane, and social distancing will be enforced. Each member will have to register individually for the practice on either Feb. 18th or 25th to ensure admittance to Sacred Heart. Each relay swimmer will count towards the maximum of 12 registrants. Once your relay team has registered, please send an e-mail so we can place you in the same lane.
If you have any questions about swimming your OHS at Sacred Heart, feel free to e-mail us at: email@example.com
FUNDRAISING & SUPPORTING THE CAUSE
Last year, TNYA raised almost $20,000 from hundreds of donors. We would like to raise more than $20,000 this year. Here are two easy and effective ways to fundraise:
- On the TNYA’s MightyCause fundraiser page, click “Join This Event” to create your own fundraising page (you can personalize the standard language provided). It’s a fast, easy way to share information about OHS, and it gives donors a quick way to donate online. Add a picture or video for better result$$$!
- E-mail friends and loved ones with a pitch. Here is a sample pitch letter that you should feel free to adapt and share with everyone you know.
Thank you for participating, fundraising and volunteering! We could not make the OHS a success without you! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org