UPDATED AND REVISED ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2020:
ATTENTION: Due to COVID, please contact us directly as soon as possible if you are in need of financial assistance. Please disregard the application procedures detailed below. For more general information about our current operations, see our COVID reopening policies and procedures. If you are in need of financial assistance to participate in our programs, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Paul Fortoul Fellowship Program is named in memory of our beloved late coach, swimmer and mentor Paul Fortoul (1958-2007). We created our “Swimming Scholarship” program in the spring of 2007 to provide a permanent structure for financial assistance. The program was named in honor of Paul Fortoul in early 2008 after his death in December 2007.
The program provides financial assistance to team members without means to participate in our programs. Funds may also be used to provide financial assistance for practices and clinics as well as defray costs associated with attending competitions. The program is funded by donations, 100% of which go directly towards the stated goals of the program; administration of the program is paid for by the outside funds from the team’s general operating budget.
To contribute to the program, make your check out to “Team New York Aquatics, Inc.” with a note on the check that the payment is a “Paul Fortoul Fellowship Program Donation.” Your check can be hand delivered to a gatekeeper at any practice, or mailed to:
Team New York Aquatics
Post Office Box 2274
Radio City Station
New York, New York 10101
You can also email the Team Administrator at email@example.com to make arrangements for electronic payment for your donation with your debit/credit card on file.
Contributions to the program are tax-deductible as permissible by law. Please talk to a tax professional for details.
Applications to the program are generally accepted three times per year. Please bear in mind that awards are made on the basis of need and that not all requests may be granted due to the availability of funds in any given trimester. Applicants must be paid up on current-year team dues and USMS membership (or other appropriate national governing body membership) in order to receive a fellowship grant.
General Application Information
The application period is from the 1st to the 10th of the month preceding the start of each calendar trimester (that is, from the 1st to the 10th of December, April, and August). Applications received after the 10th of the month may not be considered. To apply, your application package should include:
- Your name and phone number.
- The number of times a week you would like to swim in the next calendar trimester and the dollar cost amount (monthly or for the period).
- The portion of the costs (in dollars, either monthly or for the period) you can afford to pay yourself (a breakdown of the fee structure here are on here). You are applying for a grant to cover the difference between these two amounts.
- Please describe briefly why you have the need for the Fellowship funds.
- Describe why swimming with TNYA is important to you, what you hope to get out of it, and specific examples of how you have given back to the team or what you can do to help give back to the team.
- Have you received the Fortoul Fellowship previously? If so, how many times?
All information provided by you will be kept confidential and will not be shared with anyone apart from Fellowship Committee members and the Team Administrator without your consent. E-mail your application to our review committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive a reply from the committee by the 20th day of the month.