UPDATED AND REVISED ON SATURDAY, JULY 18, 2020:
Dear Members of the Team New York Aquatics Community,
We, like you, have been monitoring the information being released regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Our mission is to create a safe space in the water in New York City for members of the LGBTQ+ community and our allies. Given the continuously evolving guidance from health and government authorities as well as the closure of many of our facilities, and in accordance with our mission, the Board of Directors has voted to cancel all upcoming practices, workouts and social events, and suspend all operations (clinics, camps & other special events), effective today (Friday, March 13, 2020) until further notice. The Board will reassess the situation periodically and provide an additional update to the team as soon as possible.
For those with monthly subscriptions, the Board voted to process the March subscription fee at 25% the normal rate charging only the first week of March (before our first pool closure on March 9, 2020. We did not charge our members monthly subscriptions fees in April, and all monthly subscriptions are on hold under further notice. Those signed up for Swim Camp should have already received the cancellation notice and refunds. We will work to reschedule the One Hour Swim charity raffle drawing after we resume normal operations. On March 28, 2020, we also preemptively cancelled Aquapalooza 2020, our home swim meet, which was scheduled to be held on Saturday, May 16, 2020. We will work to reschedule Aquapalooza after we resume normal operations.
We appreciate your patience while we work through this pandemic, and we are grateful for your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to seeing you back in the water as soon as possible. For additional details on the latest developments, see below. Join us for our summer programming.
The Board of Directors
Additional Details & Resources:
- Monthly Happy Hour & Other Social Events: All physical in-person happy hours and other social events, such as our One Hour Swim charity raffle drawing, have been cancelled until bars and restaurants reopen in New York City. Join us for our summer programming. We will not be rescheduling the our physical in-person social events until we lift the suspension on our operations.
- Annual Training Camp: Our Annual Training Camp in Palm Springs, California from March 29 to April 4 has been cancelled. All registrants have already been provided with a refund. We will not be rescheduling the camp until we lift the suspension on our operations.
- Aquapalooza (Our Home Swim Meet): On March 28, 2020, we cancelled our Home Swim Meet, Aquapalooza, originally scheduled for May 16, 2020. We will not be rescheduling the meet until we lift the suspension on our operations.
- Pool Facilities: Baruch College, Long Island University, Columbia University and Sacred Heart will remain closed until further notice. All pool negotiations with John Jay College, Medgar Evers College, and Sacred Heart (renewal of our contract) have been put on hold until further notice. More details about our practices and pool facilities is available here.
- Virtual Experiences, Social Media & Online Community: We encourage everyone to stay connected with us through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as well as our summer programming, post in our closed Facebook community group, and tag us (@teamnewyorkaquatics) on Instagram during your at-home workouts and virtual group workouts to help us continue to foster a spirit of community while we await happier and healthier days back in the pool. As always, we encourage everyone to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We also encourage everyone to stay connected with us through our team e-mail lists.
- Major Community Events in NYC through June 30, 2020: On April 20, 2020, the New York City Government cancelled all permitted gatherings through June 30 (see news article for details). Heritage of Pride has cancelled all in-person events for New York City Pride in June with plans for virtual experiences (see their website for details). New York Road Runners (NYRR) and Front Runners New York have cancelled the Pride Run on June 27. NYRR has also cancelled all other races through June 30 and are offering refunds for all registration fees (see their website for details).
- General Information about Public Health & Public Services: Governor Andrew Cuomo has ordered all non-essential businesses in New York State to remain closed until further notice. For general information about public health and public services, as well as pandemic policy, guidance and resources (such as New York City Unity Project’s List of Resources for the LGBTQ+ Community and Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Executive Order “New York State on P.A.U.S.E.”) are provided by the New York City Government, New York State Government, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
For all other events listed on our website organized by other organizers, reach out directly to the organizers for information about cancellation and, if applicable, refund policy. If you have any additional questions or concerns about COVID-19/coronavirus, feel free to reach out to us for more information at email@example.com.
ARCHIVED PRESS RELEASES
UPDATE ON JUNE 3, 2020: See our list of virtual pride events at: www.tnya.org/pride2020
UPDATE ON MAY 30, 2020: We will not hold our Virtual Happy Hours, Virtual Watch Parties or Virtual Group Workout Classes during Pride Month. We are compiling a list of virtual pride events by our local community organizations. Check our website frequently for updates.
UPDATE ON MAY 10, 2020: We will not hold our Virtual Watch Parties after Friday, May 8. We will continue to hold our Virtual Happy Hours and Virtual Group Workout Classes
UPDATE ON APRIL 20, 2020: Join us for our virtual experiences every week starting Wednesday, April 22. We will hold our virtual group workout classes on Tuesdays, our virtual happy hours on Wednesdays, and our virtual movie night/watch parties on Fridays. For details, see our virtual social events page here.
UPDATE ON MARCH 30, 2020: Join us for our first virtual happy hour on Wednesday, April 8. For details, see our Facebook event page.