RELEASED ON FRIDAY, MARCH 13, 2020 (UPDATED ON MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2020)
Dear Members of the Team New York Aquatics Community,
We, like you, have been monitoring the information being released regarding Coronavirus/Covid-19. Our mission is to create a safe space in the water in New York City for members of the LGBTQ+ community and our allies. Given the continuously evolving updates from health and government authorities as well as the closure of many of our facilities, and having looked broadly at our mission, the Board of Directors has voted to cancel all upcoming practices, workouts and social events, and suspend all operations (clinics, camps & other special events), effective today (Friday, March 13, 2020) through April 20, 2020. The Board will reassess the situation and provide an additional update to you by April 20, 2020.
For those with monthly subscriptions, the Board voted to process the March subscription fee at 25% the normal rate charging only the first week of March before our first pool closure on March 9, 2020. We will not be charging our members with monthly subscriptions for the regular subscription fees in April. Those signed up for Swim Camp should have already received the cancellation notice and refunds. We will work to reschedule the One Hour Swim Celebration once normal operations resume. We have also preemptively cancelled Aquapalooza 2020 which was scheduled to be held on Saturday, May 16, 2020.
We appreciate your patience while we work through this pandemic, and we are grateful for your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to seeing you back in the water as soon as possible. For additional details on the latest developments, see below.
The Board of Directors
Additional Details & Resources:
- Monthly Happy Hour & Other Social Events: All monthly happy hours and other social events are cancelled until bars and restaurants reopen in New York City. Join us for our virtual happy hour online on Wednesday, April 8, 2020. More details will be provided soon!
- Annual Training Camp: Our Annual Training Camp in Palm Springs, California from 3/29 to 4/4 has been cancelled. All registrants have already been provided with a refund.
- Aquapalooza: Our Home Swim Meet, Aquapalooza, on 5/16 has been cancelled.
- Pool Facilities: Sacred Heart will remain closed through April 20. Columbia University will remain closed through April 30. Long Island University and Baruch College will remain closed until further notice. All pool negotiations with John Jay College, Medgar Evers College, and Sacred Heart (renewal of our contract) have been put on hold until further notice.
- Virtual Experiences & Online Community: We encourage everyone to participate in our virtual happy hour on Wednesday, April 8 starting at 6pm (see our Facebook event page for more information), post in our closed Facebook community group, and tag us (@teamnewyorkaquatics) on Instagram during your at-home workouts and virtual group workouts to help us continue to foster a spirit of community while we await happier and healthier days back in the pool. As always, we encourage everyone to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- General Information about Public Health & Public Services: For general information about public health and public services, guidance and resources are available to the public in New York City provided by the New York City Government, New York State Government, and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
For all other events listed on our website organized by other organizers, reach out directly to the organizers for information about cancellation and, if applicable, refund policy. If you have any additional questions or concerns about COVID-19/coronavirus, feel free to reach out to us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.