Swim Camp 2018
Grab your sunscreen and pack your speedo — TNYA’s annual swim camp is here! From March 18 to 24, we’ll be training in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Our week at the wonderful facilities of the Fort Lauderdale Aquatics Complex will give you a chance to build conditioning, hang out with a great bunch of folks, and get a tan that will make your snowbound friends back home seethingly jealous. More details are coming soon. Online registration is now open.
- Swimmers arrive at the latest by noon on Sunday, March 18 so that they can check-in, and acclimate, before the first workout.
- The first practice is on Sunday, March 18 at 3pm. Swimmers will have recommended lanes but there may be some shuffling to make sure all swimmers are comfortable with their lane assignments.
- Monday through Friday will mostly be “two-a-days,” with a practice in the morning and a practice in the early evening. You’ll have time to grab a long lunch and check out the beach, or nap, most days.
- Social events and swimming skills workshops will be scheduled throughout the week.
- The morning of Saturday, March 24 will be our final swim and the end of official activities.
What to Expect
- Camp Is For Everyone Regardless of skill level, there will be a lane and coaching for you. If you want to train to compete, we have a world-class coach (Abi) to give you her guidance. If you’re new or need help with basic techniques, we have 4-5 clinics planned. If you want to have fun, there is a suite of activities planned. Our coaches were selected because of their skill coaching at all levels of skill, and for the significant preparation they have already done in developing amazing workouts.
- Team Building is a Major Focus Practices and events are built to encourage it. Camp is a great way to really get to know the team (and not just your lane). After practice many people go grab lunch along the beach or head back to their rooms to chow down on groceries they have waiting for them before hanging out at the beach with other swimmers.
- We Want to Hear About Your Personal Goals Do you want to learn how to swim butterfly? Maybe perfect your breaststroke pull-out? Break a minute 100m freestyle? If you don’t tell us we can’t help you achieve it! Tell us what you’re hoping to get out of your swim camp experience.
- Our Goal Is to Make Sure You’re Happy You Came All we ask is that when you’re at a practice, you try your best. Skipping is ok, but do try to make the most of your swim-cation. And if something isn’t working, please talk to us! None of us bite…well, unless asked 😉
To get the most out of your experience we recommend staying near the beach, but within walking distance to the pool (1 Hall of Fame Dr, Fort Lauderdale). That said, you’re a grown-up (mostly) and can stay wherever you like. A few solutions that have been popular:
Granada Inn/La Casa Del Mar in Fort Lauderdale (954-467-2037) Mention Team New York Aquatics and receive a discount when you book: the $180 Standard, $204 Junior Suite, and $255 Full Suite drop to $153, $173.40, and $216.75, respectively, plus tax. Rooms are filling up quickly so if you haven’t booked, please do so now!
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach (1-954-524-8733) This is right across from the pool and is around ~$200 a night.
Airbnb Some folks like to rent out a room or house on airbnb, which can be fun but typically requires a car rental.