The Paul Fortoul Fellowships
The Paul Fortoul Fellowship Program is named in memory of our beloved late coach, swimmer and mentor Paul Fortoul (1958-2007). The primary purpose of the program is to help team members who desire to swim more frequently than their financial resources let them. Grants from the fund make up the shortfall between the amount swimmers can pay and the actual subscription cost. Funds may also be used to help defray team members’ costs associated with attending competitions. The program is funded by donations from within and outside TNYA, all of which go directly towards the stated goals of the program; administration of the program is paid for by the outside funds from the team’s general budget.
To contribute to the program, hand a check with “Fortoul Fellowship donation” in the memo line to a gatekeeper at any practice, or mail it to:
Team New York Aquatics
c/o 345 W. 55th St., Apt. 9F
New York, NY 10019
You can also email the Team Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to charge the specified amount of your donation to your debit/credit card on file.
Contributions to the program are tax-deductible as permissible by law. Please talk to a tax professional for details.
Applications to the program are accepted three times per year. Please bear in mind that awards are made on the basis of need and that not all requests may be granted due to the availability of funds in any given trimester. Applicants must be paid up on current-year team dues and USMS membership in order to receive a fellowship grant.
The application period is from the 1st to the 10th of the month preceding the start of each calendar trimester (that is, from the 1st to the 10th of December, April, and August). Applications received after the 10th of the month may not be considered. To apply, send an email with the following information to email@example.com:
- Your name and phone number.
- The number of times a week you would like to swim in the next calendar trimester and the dollar cost amount (monthly or for the period).
- The portion of the costs (in dollars, either monthly or for the period) you can afford to pay yourself. (A breakdown of the full costs are on the fee-structure page.) You are applying for a grant to cover the difference between these two amounts.
- Please describe briefly why you have the need for the Fellowship funds.
- Describe why swimming with TNYA is important to you, what you hope to get out of it, and specific examples of how you have given back to the team or what you can do to help give back to the team.
- Have you received the Fortoul Fellowship previously? If so, how many times?
All information provided by you will be kept confidential and will not be shared with anyone apart from Fellowship Committee members and the Team Administrator without your consent.
You will receive a reply from the Fellowship Committee by the 20th of the month.